Remember the 60-second rule: That's all the time you have to create a winning first impression. Here are some simple to significant ways to maximize your home's appeal.
· Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
· Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
· Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
· Tighten and clean all door handles.
· Clean windows inside and out.
· Power wash home's exterior.
· Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
· Paint the front door.
· Buy a new welcome mat.
· Place potted flowers near the front door.
· Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts "the flow" or makes the room appear smaller.
· Consider renting a storage unit to move items off-site.
· Clean and organize cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
· Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
· Shampoo carpets.
· Remove excessive wall hangings and knick-knacks.
· Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
· Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
· Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
· Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
· Fix or replace discolored grout.
· Replace broken tiles.
· Replace worn countertops.
Special details for showings
· Turn on all the lights.
· Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
· Keep pets secured outdoors.
· Buy new towels for bathrooms.
· Buy new bedding for bedrooms.
· Replace old lamps or lampshades.
· Play quiet background music.
· Light the fireplace or clean out the ashes and light a candelabrum.
· Infuse home with a comforting scent, such as apple spice or vanilla.
· Set the dining room table for a fancy dinner party.
· Vacate the property while it is being shown.